Whether you’re a patient in need of care, or a family member looking to help a loved one, you need to be familiar with laws that govern the home care services industry. If you’re interested in an unlicensed long-term health aide position, it is important that you know what you cannot do, and how to differentiate your job description from a licensed health aide. So, without further ado, what are unlicensed health aides not allowed to do?

Unlicensed caregivers are not allowed to:

Issue Medications: This includes giving patients their pills or liquids by mouth or intravenously (IV).

Mix Medications: Health aides cannot mix medications in any way, shape or form. This means that they cannot put two drugs together in order to help your loved one feel better faster or for any other reason. They also cannot mix different drugs together unless directed by a doctor or pharmacist.

Fill Pill Reminder Boxes: If a patient has a prescription for medication that needs to be taken at certain times each day, the patient should fill out a pill reminder box with all of this information written down so that he or she doesn’t forget what time to take what pill every day. These boxes must be filled by the patient or a loved one as an unlicensed health aide cannot assist with this task.

Solicit Medical Advice: Health aides should never give medical advice, even if the patient asks for it. If a patient has a medical question, they should be referred to their doctor or another qualified health professional. Although health aides have some training in first aid and CPR, they have not received the same level of medical training as doctors and other medical professionals.

Perform A Medical Assessment; or: Health aides and personal care assistants are not medical professionals, so they should not be giving you medical assessments or performing advanced procedures.

Provide Advanced Medical Care: Although a health aide may have some basic medical training, they are not qualified to conduct physical examinations or diagnose illnesses. If a patient appears to be ill, they should be referred to their doctor immediately. In addition, if a patient needs advanced medical treatment, this should only be provided by a trained professional with appropriate credentials.


Hire A Licensed Health Aide Through Saige Homecare Agency

As you can see, it is worthwhile to find a licensed health aide versus an unlicensed caregiver so that you are not found lacking some integral home care support. Finding yourself in a situation where you need a qualified care aide is difficult but with the right support and information, it is possible. Saige Homecare Agency will be by your side every step of the way. We are happy to help guide you through the process of finding a licensed health aide for your home care needs. Contact us today to learn more.